In the book, How Artists Use Line and Tone by Paul Flux, he says on page 4," A line can make shapes in a picture, it can divide space, and it can even show feelings. When more than one line is drawn, patterns and shapes are made."
On page 23 it shows examples of lines conveying emotion, while page 20 shows how lines
can be used to create optical illusion. This gives Line the ability to minimize or exaggerate, which has for ages been utilized in textiles and fashion.
Here is a sample of ikat cloth my Grandmother, Betty Nepjuk, brought back for me from the Island of Bali when she travelled there. During the set-up to weaving such cloth, the warp yarns are tied off and resist dyed in an ordered, planned design and then the weft yarn is measured by winding and resist dyed in an orderly fashion, so when they meet as to make a design. Ikat is well used in flowing gowns. It does not work as good for garments with lots of cut pieces and darts as the designs get confused-looking.
I know, I know... it's wrinkly.... it's been in storage....
The long line of Sophie's baptismal gown and bonnet I designed and sewed for her when she was
5 months old. The pintucks on the chest run vertically and the lengthy hem leaves plenty of room
for embellishment with lace.
Sources
Flux, Paul. How Artists Use Line and Tone, Heinemann Library, Chicago, Illinois, 2007.
Wow again, designing and sewing your daughter's gown. What is the story behind this piece? The material had to come from someone or something important to you;)
ReplyDeleteActually, all the old wedding gowns and old baptism gowns that I could find from my family were yellowed. I wanted to use real silk as well. (Ironically, she spit up and now this one is yellowed). Basically this gown was my expression of gratitude to God/The Universe for giving me my daughter. I am not religious (like at all!) but it was important to my husband and I to have her baptized to sort of present her to the World, give her godparents and share our joy. She was conceived through IVF and I prayed and prayed and prayed for her. Many people around us were praying for us. Sometimes when you get what you ask for it is anticlimactic and I needed a gesture or output to sort of signal my gratefulness. I thought about how in the olden days, babies weren't baptized until 6 months to make sure they were going to survive. I started by designing a bonnet and making a mock-up and it was too large. Then I adjusted my patterns and made the one she wore, I found it challenging and rewarding to figure out how to sew all the pin tucks and lace on correctly- you really have to think it through before stitching. I sewed late into the night for 3 nights to complete it, as well as one whole day on the bonnet, but by doing it I could feel all of the love, joy, creativity and gratitude flowing through me. I didn't think of it as hard work…. it was literally a dream come true to be making a gown for my daughter to thank God for bringing her to me and that she was healthy.
ReplyDeleteA lovely story...a superb example of making pieces to commemorate important life events! Thanks for sharing this, Julie.
ReplyDelete