Storm this Viking helmet I made goes out to you!.... Maybe Bo would like it when he is bigger.... I found 2 chain link fence post toppers, thought they looked like horns and the rest is history..... I felted alpaca fur over a buckram cap I made with the metal "horn" secured by elastic bands. I concocted a flour/water/salt paste that I slathered on to dry numerous times. I used a recycled scrap of mink fur to sew around it for the headband and applied silicon caulking in rows all over the top of the helmet. Flexible, and not too heavy! Very fun!
My husband Asterix, I mean... Andy
So, the most recent machine sewing project I accomplished was individual curtains for the bunk beds in my camper. These have been a wonderful addition as we use our camper a ton!
I bought 2 tension curtain rods. I measured the 2 spaces (which are different heights). I carefully marked and cut the fabric. I folded and pressed and pinned everything making sure the casings weren't too narrow. I sewed them with Sophia on my lap; helping by taking each pin out to put in the pin cushion. It's not sewing, but this last month my energy has been directed to a construction project of another nature! On June 4, with lots of help, I organized an assembly/cultural event at my school to unveil a 4' x 8' ceramic tile painted mural my students made of the Mi'kmaq Grand Council flag with a petroglyphs border.
I think your 17th century costume posts conveyed to all readers that you understand basic sewing. That is the understatement of the millennium!
ReplyDeleteThe Asterix hat is amazing! What a demonstration of creativity and problem solving!
Sources for sewing? Ideas for class activities related to the curriculum?
I loved the hat... so much work and creativity in it..how you can work with so many textures and materials in one project is truly a gift. Your simple curtains take time and careful measurements, having your daughter see you sew and become a part of it is nice to hear, as I had to chase two boys out of my hair and find time to make one vest and attempt to make a rug. The mural is memorable and such a gift... you have definitely left your mark at that school:)
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud when I saw the hat and the hair attached! Remarkable use of resources; I’d still be here trying to figure this out if I had to make this myself. The rubbery silicone caulking is unthinkable to me – built to last. Love it; you make me happy
ReplyDeleteyour imagination knows no limit! I think your students are very lucky to have such a creative soul share their space and guide their learning. I wish we were closer because I so enjoy your presence and sense of self. Your students are very lucky to have such a wealth of knowledge, I am wondering if your school knows of your costume design abilities, have you been recruited for teaching drama yet, and running plays?
ReplyDelete