Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Dyeing/Discharging

Dyeing and Discharging

Dyeing is putting colour in and discharging is taking colour out.

Chemical Dyes
 
This lace pattern is dyed with on polyester with a heat  press and blue dye transfer paper.
 
 
 
 
 
Discharging with Bleach



 
I have to admit, that although I enjoy the dramatic results from chemical dyeing, I much prefer to do natural dyeing, using plants and minerals.  I have twice now saved enough onion skins to do onion skin tie dye workshops with students.  The bright yellow colour is very surprising to them, (pretty colour fast with alum,lesser with vinegar, Iron as a mordant "saddens" the dye completely). It is also non-toxic. You don't have to worry about their safety as much, plus you don't have to justify to them why it is ok to dump all those chemicals down the drain. You can have them tie dye or resist dye for more drama.  Try different fibres, shells, sticks, bones and hide for them to observe how they take up the dye differently.  Have them return to the next class with a creatively sewn item or art project, incorporating at least one piece of fibre they dyed.
 
I usually have a plans for a dye or two brewing around my home.  For example, I have been collecting oak galls for the last number of years and am planning on trying to make an old ink recipe I found.  Right now, I am making medicine instead of dye.  I am steeping Balm of Gilead buds, from the Populus species, in olive oil, to be used with bees wax to make a salve.  Last's year's batch turned out very well so I'm hoping for a repeat.  I love the beautiful amber colour the sticky buds give the oil and the smell is incredible-very medicinal!!! The trees are rare around here, but grow on the bank of my home.  In the 1940's local Mi'maq people would arrive in the Spring to pick the buds in a grove, and taught my husband's grandmother how to make medicine from them.  I steep them for about 6 weeks before heating and straining the oil.
Balm of Gilead Oil
 

7 comments:

  1. Nice photos, Julie. Can you add in a photo of your book that you compiled about your experiences with natural dyes?

    Sources?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chemically dyed samples are very very impressive and cool but the idea to do natural dyeing using plants and minerals has me even more interested. The fact that you say you can get a bright yellow from onion skins is very surprising to me as well and something I would love to try with students. Fabulous eco-friendly idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a test of your patience as well Julie. Your willingness to experiment with natural dyes from plants and minerals is very organic and I must add very 21st Century. Problem solving is built into these efforts to transform fabrics and yarns into new looks. I might use your blog as a reference; there’s interesting materials posted here … “seemingly sew”, ha! I could not resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried to collect the purple/red onion skin? I wonder what that would work like? You truly amaze me, and it does not surprise me to see you talents know no end, salve, dyes, you can really see the wheels turning in there, I have to agree with Patricia, you are certainly a 21 st Century learner, bringing back old techniques and making them new again! Inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez ladies, you make me feel good about things….. thanks! Yes Jyl, red onions aren't as exciting :( I did get a light pink one time by first soaking cotton yarn in boiled soybeans and water until it fermented (stinky). This put a protein coating on the plant fibre making it act more like a silk or wool. Other than this one time, red onion produced for me lighter yellow than yellow onion skins.

      Delete
  5. Great samples! I was very interested in your natural dyeing comments. I tried red cabbage which was not that successful, but I also tried using turmeric and it worked very well. I think the onions skins would be a great thing to do with students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great samples! I was very interested in your comments on the natural dyes. I tried using red cabbage, which was not very successful, and also turmeric which worked very well. I think the onion skins would be a great one to do with students.

    ReplyDelete