Knit-interlocking loops-stretchy-need to machine sew with a zig zag stitch to account for stretch.
An afghan I bought at a second hand store
Knitted owl hat knitted for Sophie by my friend Nora McGuire, Saint John, New Brunswick.
Creature named Red Wetty from the book, Stupid Sock Creatures, by John Murphy, 2005,
Sterling Publishing Co., New York. Made from a knitted sock.
Crochet isn't knit but it is interlocking loop construction...
Woven
Warp-faced cotton band I wove
Embroidered polycotton woven dress Sophie's Aunt Holly brought her from the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. Wovens are not stretchy in structure except diagonally, on the bias.
Felt
I found it so interesting when I heard that ancient nomads discovered the felting process by stuffing pieces of wool they found into their footwear to prevent blisters and cushion the feet, until low and behold, through sweat and agitation they formed into matted insoles! I don't know if there is any archeological evidence for this but it sounds like it makes sense.
Extruded/SyntheticSome fibres can be produced in long, thin strings like polyester, or in a sheet like rubber or plastic.
Here is a polyester and metallic/plastic studded dress I wore to White Point Beach Lodge last Christmas for my husband's work party. That is when I met up with fellow cohort/blogger Patricia Tse there under similar circumstances! Small world :)
An activity I recommend to learn about fibre structure is actually paper weaving. I have my students practice plain, twill and satin and make an 8.5"x11" paper sample of each. Use coloured construction paper and "threaten" to laminate them into placemats for them!
Another activity to actually learn how to sew differently depending on the fabric choice (knit or woven), I use the "Make your Own Monster" project I learned at an inservice. After designing the pattern, the student chooses any fabric they like. If a stretchy fabric is chosen, a zig zag stitch will have be used on the sewing machine so the seams don't blow.... The monster will be rounder if stretchy fabric is used and overstuffed.... Loosely woven fabrics shred easily....
Some of my students' monsters


Great photos. You are right, crochet is a knit structure (interlocking loops) made by working with one loop at a time rather than knitting where one holds a line of loops on the needle.
ReplyDeleteLove the monster making idea. I can imagine a loosely woven fabric proving so frustrating, yet that's what the learning experience is all about.
Hey, the monster project is something my son Locke made at his after school program. I was amazed to hear that he had sewed... not all of one, but most (for a boy who just turned 8) I was impressed. It was his first sewing project, not for marks, not taught by me, and yet a piece that he can say he made almost all by himself. A great project for kids in class, made on a tight budget too:)
ReplyDeleteI never knew or even gave any consideration about the history as to how the felting process was discovered. That bit of history is very intriguing and I agree it makes sense as a plausible explanation that led to the discovery of felting.
ReplyDeleteIf you actually laminated the paper weaving they could become placemats for the Foods Lab! I have my Child Studies students make monsters for children's toys. They make them all through out the term when they finish other work so they never have "nothing to do."
ReplyDelete