Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Pattern II

 
 
 
 
Pattern can be simple, or it can be intricate.  These pictures
are from the book How Artists Use Patten and Texture, by Paul Flux.
 

I really love the pattern on this cotton/tulle/polyester thread scarf(possibly scratchy)/wall hanging I made using a burnout technique.  I sewed the cotton to the tulle before carefully applying a chemical to burnout (un)desired areas. The roses are unrealistic colours with a surprising dark background.  The repeat of the pattern is very large as well as the scale of the flowers.  As it repeats less, the piece is lent an original quality.

This multi-coloured cotton embroidery is on a linen pillow case I was given by a friend's mom.  It is most certainly Eastern European, probably Estonian or German.  The repeat pattern of the stitches are rhythmic and hypnotic!  The large blue arrow is a strip appliqued with a blanket stitch.  This piece would have taken some time!  I am so interested in how pattern has been used as a part of regional identity for millenia.  Different villages and regions have their own styles and variations. I love learning about European and Asian embroidery (Especially Ukrainian of course!!!  Here's a shout out to my fellow member of "The Ukrainian Ladies Luncheon Club" Enid Schaller!!!)

The floral pattern of this pink silk/ramie dress is very lush and adds to the luxurious feel of the garment.  It is an18th century dress I made after my first year of Dalhousie Costume Studies. It is difficult to find appropriately patterned fabrics when sewing historical recreations.  This fabric was a good find and worked charmingly with the style and the period.


Sources
Flux, Paul. 2007, How Artist Use Pattern and Texture, Heinemann Library, Chicago, Illinois.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. often for me patterns can be overwhelming and too stimulating. Patterning is a skill in textiles I think. Finding that trend and pattern that will survive the eras isn't easy. Having and making your mark with patterning can be hit or miss by designers. It's kind of like RW and Co. I love the material and cut of their clothing, but often the same pattern/print is used throughout the same season, that it makes shopping there regularly impossible by a consumer like me. I like the use of patterns as accent pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting comment, Storm. Your point of view is certainly something designers can bear in mind. When I was at Fabricville recently, I found that display window overwhelming...now I know why, there was too much going on and not enough solids to break things up.

    ReplyDelete