Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Texture

Texture adds so much interest and appeal to textiles.  Texture may be the actual "hand" of the fabric (how it feels in your hand) or visual texture through pattern.
This handwoven woolen tapestry I made has lots of texture!!! 
 
Back in 2002 I made this textural piece called "Stalactites" as a part of a group textile show entitled "Accumulation"  at NSCAD's Anna Leonowens Gallery.  The show ran from November 18-23.  Here I am boring a friend named Andrew about my work and you can see my cute "Nanny" in the background!

I began the work (which took 80 hours in total) by unraveling 5 woolen sweaters and rolling the yarn into balls.  Then I wove the piece using a rug-making technique to create the "Stalactites".  I hung it above a low, mirrored platform of the same dimensions.  I did this to evoke the feeling of water in a cave, and interestingly, the view of the piece was different when you looked at it through these mirrors.  Besides referencing literal accumulation, the theme behind the piece was thinking about the long, slow passage of time.  This theme continues to inspire me today.........

Along the lines of the long, slow passage of time....
Here is a picture of eroded rock showing visual texture(through pattern) and actual physical texture.

This satin is shiny, "silky" and soft. It is the weave structure, exposing long, unbroken "floats" that bounce back the light to create shine.  Fabrics such as this are very popular for formal wear, such as evening gowns and linings.  They feel good on the skin and are usually flattering, especially if cut on the bias -as long as the garment is not too tight (thin fabrics don't hide lumps and bumps at all!) 

Although shiny as well, these metallic fibres are scratchy.  Sometimes cool textures come at the price of breathability and comfort.


6'"x6" cotton/polyester/faux fur/stuffing/thread patch.  Notice the different textures of the fabrics to reference grass, bark or leaves. 

This is an assignment I use in Grade 7 Textiles as an opportunity for students to demonstrate  knowledge of the Elements of Design as well as handstitching skills.  I give them a handout sheet with instructions and the 6" square pattern which they must cut out neatly.  They search through the cloth deciding on the background, the foreground, other features, etc.  The patch must include:
  • 3 out of 7 learned handstitches
  • have a stuffed element (Italian quilting called trapunto)
  • remain 6" x 6"!!!! (sounds obvious, but kids cut them down, or cut them out messily)
We talk about Line, pattern, texture and colour and how these are used as tools in a toolkit to bring about the desired results.  They are shown good and bad examples.  We go over the evaluation rubrics together and they receive a grade immediately upon completion.


Sources
Flux, Paul.  2007, How Artists Use Pattern and Texture, Heinemann Libraries, Chicago, Illinois.

3 comments:

  1. This is all fabulous work, Julie. Your background in textiles and your obvious love for anything to do with textiles is infectious...of course, it takes very little to get me excited about textiles. The examples you have chosen are lovely. Your assignment idea sounds grand. I can see that it is 'simple' yet challenging for the students. I can imagine mums and grandmums getting these nice little pictures framed for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree, a great project for students, and a keeper by those that receive it. The terminology and history you provide to your students has depth and purposeful meaning. I throw back to the seventies? with the "puffy" art, but students will really get the feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow something went horribly wrong with all of my pictures and text layering over each other. Sorry guys…. I wish I knew what I was doing!!!?

    ReplyDelete